CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (July 24, 2018) - The American Red Cross and KFVS12 are encouraging area blood donors to join them at the annual summer blood drive Aug. 10 and 11 at several convenient locations in Missouri and Illinois.
The KFVS12 Summer Heartland Blood Drive comes as the Red Cross faces an emergency blood shortage and is issuing an urgent call for blood and platelet donors to give now so patients can continue to receive the lifesaving treatment they need. Right now, blood products are being distributed to hospitals faster than donations are coming in. More donations are immediately needed to help replenish the blood supply.
Everyone who attempts to donate will receive a special-edition Red Cross Missing Types t-shirt compliments of Papa John’s, while supplies last. The Red Cross launched the Missing Types campaign nationwide on June 11 as part of an international movement in an effort to recruit new blood donors, and those who had not given recently. During the Missing Types campaign, the letters A, B and O – the main blood groups – disappeared from brands, social media pages, signs and websites to illustrate the critical role every blood donor plays.
“This blood drive comes at such a critical time for us,” said Garry Allison, director of donor recruitment for the Missouri-Illinois Blood Services Region. “While Missing Types has been a successful campaign, the summer still presents many challenges. We are so grateful to KFVS12 for their continued support, and I hope the community comes out once again to help those patients who need it most.”
Donors of all blood types are urgently needed to give now to help ensure blood is available for patients in need. Those who donated blood earlier this summer may be eligible to donate again. Blood can be safely donated every 56 days, and double red cells can be donated every 112 days.
A complete list of the 12 locations for the KFVS12 blood drive is listed below:
· YMCA East, Multipurpose Room, 511 Taylor, Sikeston, MO. 63801; 1:30 – 6:30 p.m.
· Times Square Mall, 42nd Street & Broadway, Mount Vernon, IL. 62864; 1:30 – 6:30 p.m.
· University Mall, 1237 E. Main, Carbondale, IL 62901; 1:30 – 6:30 p.m.
· First United Methodist Church, 5th and N. Main, Poplar Bluff, MO. 63901; 1:30 – 6:30 p.m.
· Elks Lodge 2701, 921 N. Perryville Blvd., Perryville, MO. 63775; 1:30 – 6:30 p.m.
· Mount Auburn Christian Church, 930 N. Mount Auburn Road., Cape Girardeau, MO. 63701; 1:30 – 6:30 p.m.
· Harry Blackwell Dodge, Showroom, 1660 W. Business U.S. 60, Dexter, MO. 63841 1:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Veterans Airport, Charter Lounge, 10400 Terminal Lounge, Marion, IL. 62959; 1:30-6:30 p.m.
· YMCA East, Multipurpose Room, 511 Taylor, Sikeston, MO. 63801; 10:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
· Times Square Mall, 42nd Street & Broadway, Mount Vernon, IL. 62864; 10:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
· University Mall, 1237 E. Main, Carbondale, IL 62901; 10:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
· First United Methodist Church, 5th and N. Main, Poplar Bluff, MO. 63901; 10:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
· Elks Lodge 2701, 921 N. Perryville Blvd., Perryville, MO. 63775; 10:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
· Mount Auburn Christian Church, 930 N. Mount Auburn Road., Cape Girardeau, MO. 63701; 10:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
· Harry Blackwell Dodge, Showroom, 1660 W. Business U.S. 60, Dexter, MO. 63841; 10:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
· Veterans Airport, Charter Lounge, 10400 Terminal Lounge, Marion, IL. 62959; 10:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
How to donate blood
Simply download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org and entering the sponsor code KFVS12 or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Blood donors can now save time at their next donation by using RapidPass to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, from a computer or mobile device. get started and learn more, visit RedCrossBlood.org/RapidPass and follow the instructions on the site.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit RedCross.org or CruzRojaAmericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.