COLUMBUS, Ohio (June 3, 2020) — The American Red Cross and Cedar Fair theme parks are joining together to encourage blood donations this summer. Those who come out to donate blood at select blood drives will receive a free Cedar Fair park ticket in thanks for helping save lives.
“Blood and platelet donations are always needed, but especially during the summer months when donations tend to decline due to summer vacations and travel among regular donors,” said Wendy Yarbrough, Donor Services Executive for the Red Cross Central Ohio Blood Services Region. “The Red Cross is grateful to blood and platelet donors for coming together to support patients during this challenging time.”
All those who come to donate at select blood drives will receive one free ticket, valid for entry to participating U.S. Cedar Fair parks, including Cedar Point, Kings Island and others, while supplies last. Tickets are valid during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, and other restrictions may apply.
The partnership with Cedar Fair includes 10 parks across the U.S. with a goal of increasing blood and platelet donations during the summer months when donations decrease but the need remains constant.
Each Red Cross blood drive and donation center follows the highest standards of safety and infection control, and additional precautions – including temperature checks, social distancing and face coverings for donors and staff – have been implemented to ensure the health of all those in attendance. Donors are asked to schedule an appointment prior to arriving at the drive and are required to wear a face covering or mask while at the drive, in alignment with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention public guidance.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities with free Cedar Fair theme park ticket offer in Central Ohio:
- 5/27/20, Meadowbrook High School, 1 pm – 7 pm, at Stop Nine Church, 60330 Southgate Road, Byesville
- 6/5/20, Pickerington North High School, 12 pm – 6 pm, at Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, 8950 Refugee Road, Pickerington
- 6/10/20, Delaware County Red Cross Chapter, 1 pm – 7 pm, 380 Hills-Miller Rd., Delaware
- 6/12/20, iHeartMEDIA Blood Bash, 7 am – 7 pm, at the Red Cross Scioto Valley Chapter House, 181 N Bridge St, Chillicothe
- 6/16/20, Trinity Episcopal Church, 1 pm – 7 pm, 76 East Main Street, Newark
- 6/17/20, SAM FM 98.3 Summer Blood Drive at Knights of Columbus Lancaster, 12 pm – 6 pm, 343 E. Walnut St., Lancaster
- 6/24/20, ABC6/FOX28 Blood Drive, 7 am – 7 pm, Makoy Center, 5462 Center St., Hilliard
- 6/25/20, ABC6/FOX28 Blood Drive, 7 am – 7 pm, Makoy Center, 5462 Center St., Hilliard
- 6/30/20, The Dairy Barn-AEP Performance Wing, 1 pm – 7 pm, 8000 Dairy Barn, Athens
- 7/1/20, Athens Recreation Center, 1 pm – 7 pm, 701 E. State Street, Athens
- 7/2/20, Colony Square Mall, 2 pm – 8 pm, 3575 Maple Avenue, Zanesville
- 7/2/20, Community of Dublin, 10 am – 4 pm, Discover Christian Church, 2900 Martin Rd., Dublin
- 7/2/20, St. Paul Catholic Church, 1 pm – 7 pm, 313 N. State Street, Westerville
- 7/6/20, Riverside Methodist Hospital, 11 am – 5 pm, North Medical Office Building, 3535 Olentangy River Rd, Columbus
- 7/7/20, Marion Knights of Columbus, 12 pm – 7 pm, 1232 E. Center St., Marion
- 7/8/20, OhioHealth Berger Hospital, 8 am – 8 pm, 600 N. Pickaway Street, Circleville
- 7/8/20, Ohio Health Grant at Nationwide Arena, 10 am – 4 pm, Nationwide Arena, 200 W Nationwide, Columbus
- 7/10/20, Mount Carmel East Hospital, 11 am – 5 pm, Mount Carmel East-Siegel Center, 6001 East Broad St, Columbus
- 7/17/20, Capital University, 10 am – 4 pm, Student Union, 1 College and Main, Columbus
- 7/20/20, Summer Blood Bash, 12 pm – 6 pm, Makoy Center, 5462 Center St., Hilliard
- 7/22/20, St. Rose Catholic Church, 12 pm – 6 pm, 120 N. High St, New Lexington
- 7/23/20, River View High School, 1 pm – 7 pm, at Warsaw Camp and Retreat Center, 818 Main Street, Warsaw
- 7/29/20, Richland Mall, 9 am – 7 pm, 2209 Richland Mall, Mansfield
- 7/31/20, iHeartMEDIA Blood Bash, 10 am – 4 pm, at the Red Cross Scioto Valley Chapter House, 181 N Bridge St, Chillicothe
- 8/3/20, New Albany Methodist Church, 1:30 pm - 7:30 pm, 20 Third St., New Albany
- 8/4/20, The Glenn A. Gallagher Centre on the campus of The Ohio Eastern Star Home, 1 pm – 7 pm, 1451 Gambier Rd., Mount Vernon
- 8/11/20, Grateful Life Tour - Licking County, 11 am – 6 pm, at the Church In The Mall, 771 S 30th Street, Heath
How to donate blood
Healthy individuals who are feeling well are asked to make an appointment to donate this May by downloading the free Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enabling the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device. Donors are asked to schedule an appointment prior to arriving at the drive and are required to wear a face covering or mask while at the drive, in alignment with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention public guidance.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass® to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, before arriving at the blood drive. To get started, follow the instructions at RedCrossBlood.org/RapidPass or use the Blood Donor App.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or cruzrojaamericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.