FORT WAYNE, Ind. — The American Red Cross and Cedar Fair theme parks are joining together to encourage blood donations this summer. Those who come out to donate blood at select blood drives will receive a free Cedar Fair park ticket in thanks for helping save lives.
“Blood and platelet donations are always needed, but especially during the summer months when donations tend to decline due to summer vacations and travel among regular donors,” said Julie Brady, Donor Services Executive for the Red Cross Indiana Blood Services Region. “The Red Cross is grateful to blood and platelet donors for coming together to support patients during this time, and now, thanks to Cedar Fair, individuals can help save lives and have the time of their lives at a Cedar Fair theme park.”
All those who come to donate at select blood drives will receive one free ticket, valid for entry to participating U.S. Cedar Fair parks, including Cedar Point, Kings Island and others, while supplies last. Tickets are valid during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, and other restrictions may apply.
The partnership with Cedar Fair includes 10 parks across the U.S. with a goal of increasing blood and platelet donations during the summer months when donations decrease but the need remains constant.
Each Red Cross blood drive and donation center follows the highest standards of safety and infection control, and additional precautions – including temperature checks, social distancing and face coverings for donors and staff – have been implemented to ensure the health of all those in attendance. Donors are asked to schedule an appointment prior to arriving at the drive and are required to wear a face covering or mask while at the drive, in alignment with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention public guidance.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities with free Cedar Fair theme park ticket offer:
- 6/3/2020, Celina High School at Knights of Columbus, 10 am - 4 pm, 129 North Vine St., Celina, OH, 45822
- 6/10/2020, First United Methodist Church, 1 pm - 7 pm, 1203 East 7th St., Auburn, IN, 46706
- 6/11/2020, Red Cross Indiana Headquarters, 10 am - 3 pm, 1510 N Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN, 46202
- 6/17/2020, The Community Learning Center, Inc., 1 pm - 7 pm, 401 E. Diamond St., Kendallville, IN, 46755
- 6/18/2020, Chapel Hill Church, 12 pm - 6 pm, 2600 W. Alto Rd., Kokomo, IN, 46901
- 6/19/2020, Hilltop High School, 12 pm - 6 pm, 1401 West Jackson St., West Unity, OH, 43570
- 6/19/2020, Valparaiso Public Library, 11 am – 4 pm, 103 Jefferson Street, Valparaiso, IN, 46383
- 6/19/2020, St. Pius X Church, 12:30 pm - 6:30 pm, 52553 Fir Road, Granger, IN, 46530
- 6/19/2020, Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 2 pm - 7 pm, 4850 W Goeller Rd, Columbus, IN, 47201
- 6/21/2020, Fishers YMCA, 1 pm - 7 pm, 9012 E 126th St, Fishers, IN, 46038
- 6/24/2020, Fairhaven Baptist, 12 pm – 6 pm, 86 East Oak Hill Road, Chesterton, IN, 46304
- 6/26/2020, Madison Park Church of God, 2 pm - 7:30 pm, 6607 Providence Dr, Anderson, IN, 46013
- 6/26/2020, Grace Community Church, 11 am – 5 pm, 20076 County Road 36, Goshen, IN, 46526
- 6/30/2020, Bellmont High School, 12 pm - 5 pm, 313 West Jefferson St. (Riverside-site), Decatur, IN, 46733
- 7/1/2020, Grand Lake UMC, 12 pm - 6 pm, 119 E. Fulton St., Celina, OH, 45822
- 7/1/2020, Red Cross Indiana Headquarters, 10 am - 3 pm, 1510 N Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN, 46202
- 7/8/2020, Blackhawk Ministries, 2 pm - 8 pm, 7400 E. State St., Fort Wayne, IN, 46815
- 7/8/2020, University of Notre Dame, 11 am – 5 pm, 315 LaFortune Student Center, Notre Dame, IN, 46556
- 7/9/2020, Red Cross Indiana Headquarters - Sponsored by Indiana Fever, 10 am - 3 pm, 1510 N Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN, 46202
- 7/9/2020, Bloomington High School South, 1 pm - 7 pm, at Sherwood Oaks Christian Church - 2700 E Rogers Rd, Bloomington, IN, 47401
- 7/15/2020, Sonlight Community Church, 11 am – 5 pm, 455 N. Gerald Lett Avenue, Angola, IN, 46703
- 7/15/2020, Farmland Friends Church, 2 pm - 7 pm, 8311 W State Road 32, Farmland, IN, 47340
- 7/16/2020, Faith United Methodist Church, 12 pm – 6 pm, 22045 County Road 18, Goshen, IN, 46528
- 7/18/2020, Henry Co YMCA, 9 am - 3 pm, 300 Wittenbaker Ave, New Castle, IN, 47362
- 7/20/2020, Duke Realty, 10 am - 3 pm, 600 E 96th St, Indianapolis, IN, 46240
- 7/21/2020, Lakes of the Four Seasons, 12:30 pm - 6:30 pm, 1048 N. Lakeshore Drive, Winfield, IN, 46307
- 7/22/2020, Indiana Department of Transportation, 10 am – 3 pm, 315 East Boyd, LaPorte, IN, 46350
- 7/22/2020, Coldwell Banker, 10 am – 4 pm, 455 West 250 North, Warsaw, IN, 46582
- 7/22/2020, Mitchell High School, 12 pm - 6 pm, Mitchell Church of Christ - 1004 Main Street, Mitchell, IN, 47446
- 7/23/2020, Zion Lutheran Church, 1 pm - 7 pm, 101 East North St., Columbia City, IN, 46725
- 7/26/2020, Pathway Community Church, 12 pm – 6 pm, 11910 Shearwater Run, Fort Wayne, IN 46825
- 7/27/2020, Huntington Church of the Nazarene, 12 pm - 6 pm, 9524 US 24 North (Cottage Event Center-site), Roanoke, IN, 46783
- 8/1/2020, Jordan YMCA, 10 am - 4 pm, 8400 Westfield Blvd, Indianapolis, IN, 46240
- 8/6/2020, First Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 11 am - 5 pm, 352 W. Clinton St., Frankfort, IN, 46041
- 8/7/2020, Faith Family Church, 7 am - 1 pm, 508 W. Green St., Frankfort, IN, 46041
How to donate blood:
Healthy individuals who are feeling well are asked to make an appointment to donate this May by downloading the free Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enabling the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device. Donors are asked to schedule an appointment prior to arriving at the drive and are required to wear a face covering or mask while at the drive, in alignment with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention public guidance.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass® to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, before arriving at the blood drive. To get started, follow the instructions at RedCrossBlood.org/RapidPass or use the Blood Donor App.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or cruzrojaamericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.