The American Red Cross, Southern California Blood Services Region, Specialist in Blood Bank Technology and Transfusion Medicine (SBBT/TM) program, located at the Red Cross blood center in Pomona, California, is not accepting students in 2019 for the current full-time, onsite program. The program is undergoing transition to a revised program delivery.
Please see our new page for more information on the new SBB Program.
The year-long program incorporates all aspects of blood center operations: whole blood collection, apheresis collections, blood component preparation and curriculum devoted to aiding in the solution of complex transfusion-related problems, including selection of rare donor units for patients’ needs. Hospital and other facility rotations are included for observation of advanced transfusion medicine practices.
· The American Red Cross SBB Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Specialist in Blood Bank Technology Schools, sponsored by the AABB.
· CAAHEP - 25400 US Highway 19 N. Suite158 Clearwater, FL 33763 (727) 210-2350, www.caahep.org
· AABB - 4550 Montgomery Avenue, Suite 700, North Tower, Bethesda, MD 20814, (301) 907-6977 www.aabb.org
· A certificate is awarded to graduates of the program, which allows the graduates to take the Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB) examination offered by ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology) www.ascp.org.
· Successful completion of an SBB program and SBB exam will enable an individual to pursue many career paths: working in a hospital, immunohematology reference laboratory, blood center, governmental agency, or other health care related industry. Depending on an SBB’s interest and skills, roles in administration, management/supervision, clinical research, and teaching are possible.
SBB Program Outcomes
· ASCP SBB certification exam:
Total attempts pass rate (2006-18) = 94% (16/17 graduates)
3-year (2016-18) 1st time pass rate = 100% (4/4 graduates)
5-year (2014-18) 1st time pass rate = 83% (5/6 graduates)
· Graduate positive placement (employment):
5-year positive placement (2014-18) = 100%
SBB Program Director: Kirk Kitchen, MT(ASCP)SBB at email@example.com.