What Do I Need to Know?
In general, blood donors must...
- Be in general good health.
- Be at least 17 years old in most states (in some states 16 years old with parental consent).
- Weigh at least 110 pounds.
- Have not donated blood in the last 56 days.
Are you ready to make a difference?
Here are some things you should know:
- Blood donation is a safe and simple procedure, and gives you the great feeling of having saved up to 3 lives
- The whole process takes around an hour, but the actual donation only takes about 8-10 minutes
- Drink plenty of water so you’re hydrated before donating.
- Have a healthy meal before you donate – and try to avoid fatty foods.
- Wear clothing with sleeves that can be raised above the elbow.
- Bring a valid form of identification with you (driver’s license or another form of ID that verifies your age) – we need this or your donor card each time you donate.
- If you live in a state that allows you to donate at 16, bring your signed parental consent form with you to your appointment.
- If you are taking any medication, bring a list of those with you.