Volunteer Blood Run Specialist, Donor Services
995 East Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43205
Columbus, OH 43205
Volunteer Blood Run Specialists provide a critical service by transporting blood products from area blood drives to the regional headquarters in
The Volunteer Blood Run Specialist provides timely delivery of blood products from our various fixed sites located in Franklin County and delivers them to the main office located at 995 E. Broad Street, Columbus. The courier must comply with all safety policies and procedures in the work area and when delivering blood and must perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures.
Note: This will involve driving in downtown Columbus.
- Operate vehicle for delivery of blood products and materials. Must operate vehicle safely and within the confines of the law. May require driving in inclement weather.
- Deliver products in a timely manner. The time schedule will be provided directly from the Volunteer Recruitment Representative. The blood products must be delivered directly to the main office after pick-up, unless instructed otherwise.
- Demonstrate appropriate qualities and appearance as an ARC representative by maintaining a professional and competent image at all times. Please refer to the policies relating to appearance, conduct and identification.
- The ARC history, mission, commitment to customer service and Code of Conduct should be exemplified at all times.
- May travel to not only the fixed sites, but also blood mobiles as needed.
- Per on-the-job training, call fixed sites approximately 30 minutes before scheduled run to ensure that no pick up time changes are needed.
Volunteers must drive a route at least once a month to be considered active. Volunteers may choose to drive a regular route, if available, or to be on-call to do add-on runs or substitute on regular runs as needed. Couriers are scheduled several weeks in advance to ensure availability.
Note: There is availability seven (7) days a week. Most runs start no earlier than 9:00am and latest drop off is 9:00pm.
- Immediate Supervisor is the Volunteer Recruitment Representative in Donor Services.
- Works with the staff at the collect sites and in Laboratory Services when picking up and dropping off the blood products.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Possess a current Ohio Driver’s License and be legally able to drive.
- Have a good driving record.
- Must have proof of insurance.
- Must be in good physical condition, ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds and maneuver a cart of up to 75 pounds.
- Enjoy working with a diverse population.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to make decisions based on fact and good judgment.
- A driving record check through the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles will be completed on all drivers before being cleared, and yearly thereafter.
- A criminal background check will be conducted.
- Orientation through the Office of Volunteers.
- Complete and pass a National Safety Council Defensive Drivers course offered through the ARC.
- Complete and pass a General Safety Orientation offered through the ARC, and complete a refresher training yearly thereafter.
- Complete Donor Services Volunteer Blood Run Specialist Training.
- Protect Your Back
- AARP Defensive Driving Course
- Every time you volunteer you are truly helping to save a life by delivering life saving blood components back to the main facility in a timely manner.
- Documented service hours.
- Meet new people/network with other people.
- All training necessary for the position is offered free of charge.
- Defensive Driving class certification may save you money on your personal insurance.
- Participate in volunteer recognition.
- Hone Customer Service Skills.