Volunteer Blood Courier, Hospital Services
995 East Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43205
Columbus, OH 43205
Volunteer Blood Couriers deliver the products in Red Cross vehicles to hospital and medical facilities throughout the Central Ohio Region. Patients in central Ohio rely on these volunteers for their dedication and commitment.
Deliver blood and blood products to hospitals and medical facilities in the Central Ohio Region. Follow a scheduled or an on-call delivery plan.
· Operate American Red Cross vehicles safely and courteously
· Deliver blood and blood products (includes plasma, derivatives, tissue products and communications packages).
· Unload van - boxes may weigh up to 40 lbs. - and maneuver 2-wheeled cart with up to 75 lbs. among people in hospitals.
· Pick up and return products, samples, and empty shipping containers to the Blood Center.
· Complete trip logs and other paperwork and assure complete, accurate records of each delivery and vehicle condition.
· Provide customer service by giving basic information and interacting in a positive manner with hospital employees.
Volunteers must drive a route at least once a month to be considered active. Volunteers may choose either to drive a regular route, if available, or to be on-call to do emergency runs or substitute on regular runs as needed.
· Immediate supervisor is the Volunteer Coordinator/Dispatcher in Hospital Services
· Will work with the staff of hospitals and medical facilities when delivering blood or picking up items to be returned.
· Must be at least 21 years old
· Possess a current Ohio Drivers license and be legally able to drive
· Have a good driving record
· Must have proof of insurance
· Must be in good physical condition, ability to lift 40 lbs. and maneuver a 2-wheeled cart with up to 75 lbs.
· New Volunteer Orientation through the Office of Volunteers
· Complete and pass a National Safety Council Defensive Drivers course offered through the ARC.
· Complete and pass a General Safety Orientation offered through the ARC, and complete a refresher training yearly thereafter.
· A driving record check through the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles will be completed on all drivers before being cleared to drive, and yearly thereafter.
· Ride with an experienced, trained driver to learn key job functions, routes, and locations.
· Complete Hospital Services Blood Courier training.
· AARP Defensive Driving Course
· Recommended courses include, ARC First Aid Course, CPR and Protect Your Back. These courses are not required. All training is provided free of charge.
· Meet new people/network with other people
· All training necessary for the position is offered free of charge. Defensive Driving class certification may save you money on your personal car insurance.
· Documented service hours
· Participation in volunteer recognition
· Every time you volunteer you are truly helping to save a life by delivering life saving blood to the hospitals in our region.