Alabama-Central Gulf Coast Blood Services Region
Volunteering with the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross has many volunteer opportunities:
- To offer assistance to those in need
- To learn new skills
- To meet interesting new people
Training is provided, plus you will become a part of a dynamic and respected local organization.
Blood Services volunteers:
- Register blood donors
- Issue blood bags to donors
- Assist in the refreshment area
Wonderful, caring Red Cross volunteers help make the blood donation experience pleasant, efficient and satisfying to our donors.
At the American Red Cross, you can make a real difference, in your community and in your own life.
Blood Drive Volunteers
Registration Volunteers and Greeters
- Welcome and thank donors for donating blood
- Provide instructions to each donor about the donation process
- Assist staff in recognizing who should be called next
Hospitality/ Canteen Volunteers ensure our donors receive the customer service required to bring positive closure to their donation experience. They:
- Thank donors for taking the time to donate
- Provide donors with refreshments
- Encourage donors to spend about 5 minutes in the hospitality area
- Immediately notify the collection staff if a donor begins to have a reaction
Labeling Station Volunteers label donors’ blood bags. This is a regulated function, requiring four hours of training and certification.
Our local offices may need you to assist with administrative and other clerical duties. Tasks may include:
- Bulk mailings
- Computer assistance
- Planning special events
- Scheduling volunteer coverage
We have an urgent need for volunteer drivers with a valid driver’s license. Volunteers transport blood from blood drives to the Red Cross. Drivers also deliver blood products to hospitals throughout the state of Alabama, the Mississippi Gulf Coast and the Florida Panhandle. Red Cross vehicles are used for these jobs.
Please contact us for more information about volunteer opportunities with American Red Cross Blood Services.
Call 251-662-2607 or 205-918-1000 ext. 1515 for more information about volunteer opportunities with American Red Cross Blood Services.