Leaders for Life
The purpose of the Leaders for Life program is to provide recognition to high school blood donors and instill a lifelong commitment to blood donation.
The goals of the program are to:
- Increase the number of high school blood drives held each year
- Promote blood donations among our youth
- Provide leadership and education opportunities
- Promote community spirit competition between high schools
- Schedule your blood donation appointment online
or by calling 1-800-RED CROSS.
- Find out about sponsoring a Red Cross blood drive by contacting your American Red Cross representative or call 1-800-491-2113.
- Learn about eligiblity requirements and download consent forms required for student blood donors.
- Download the brochure and share with your school leadership.
- Tell us why you give and share your story or see stories from other blood donors.
- Visit our blood donor community to play games, send eCards, download avatars and banners, and join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or Flickr.
- Learn more ways to get others involved.
$1,000 Scholarship Guaranteed if 450+ Units Are Collected!1
Every Participating High School Gets Additional Cool Stuff:
|Disaster Preparedness Education||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Recruitment Team T-shirts||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|T-shirts for Every Donor in All Sizes2||✓||✓||✓|
|$500 Drawings for Club Activities3||✓||✓||✓|
|$250 Gift Card Drawings for Teachers for School-Related Activity3||✓||✓||✓|
$1,000 Scholarship Drawing for Recruitment Team or Drawing for CPR/First Aid Classes and First Aid or Emergency Preparedness Kits4
|Drawings for CADA Convention for Teachers or other School Activity - Up to $750 Value5||✓|
- Annually from July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014
- Size choices available while supplies last
- Drawings in May; 7 winners total; Drives must be confirmed through June 30
- Drawings in May; 21 winners total; discuss details of drawings with Red Cross Account Manager
- CADA Convention or other school activity; 7 winners total
Teresa Del Rio Award
The Teresa Del Rio Award was established in honor of Teresa Del Rio, an American Red Cross Youth Volunteer, blood donor, and the daughter of Anna and Fernando Del Rio.
In 1999, Teresa was picking up some friends when a gunman opened fire on her car. A bullet hit Teresa in the torso. She was immediately rushed to the hospital where she underwent surgery and received 14 units of blood. Tragically, Teresa did not survive.
This award honors Teresa’s memory and celebrates her love, energy and passion for helping others by recognizing high school students whose hard work and focus help to increase blood donations at their high school’s blood drives.