Georgia and Georgia Tech Face-off in Blood Drive Challenge
Southern Blood Services Region
Both teams are asking fans for their blood and their votes during inaugural challenge.
Students and fans of Georgia Tech and the University of Georgia have taken their battle off the gridiron to help save lives through the inaugural “Rivals on the Field – Partners in the Community” Blood Drive Challenge.
From Nov. 14 through 17, the archrivals will partner with the American Red Cross to see which university’s supporters can bring in the most blood donations. The Blood Drive Challenge, which is sponsored by BP, am/pm and Coke Zero, is held just before the schools face off on the football field. The initiative aims to generate hundreds of blood donations for patients throughout the community.
“Georgia and Georgia Tech fans are very loyal when it comes to supporting their teams,” says Mario Sedlock, director of donor services, American Red Cross, Southern Blood Services Region. “With the Thanksgiving holidays approaching, it is our hope that fans will also support our lifesaving mission to provide blood for area hospital patients.”
Whether fans bleed red and black or old gold and white, they can show their colors by donating blood at the following locations:
Blood Drives, November 15:
- Georgia Tech | 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Student Success Center, Atlanta, GA 30332
- University of Georgia | 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Memorial Hall - Ballroom, Athens, GA 30609
Blood Donation Centers, November 14 through November 17*:
- Alpharetta | 5000 Old Alabama Rd, Suite 110, Alpharetta, GA 30022
- Athens | Clarke Crossing Shopping Center, 3525-3527 Atlanta Hwy, Athens, GA 30606
- Camp Creek | 3645 Marketplace Blvd, Suite 180, East Point, GA 30344
- Cobb | East Lake Shopping Center, Marietta, GA 30062
- Duluth | 3090 Premiere Pkwy, Suite 500, Duluth, GA 30097
- Gainesville | 311 Jesse Jewell Pkwy SW, Suite 102, Gainesville, GA 30503
- Midtown | 1955 Monroe Drive, Atlanta , GA 30324
- Sandy Springs | 1155 Hammond Drive, Bldg. A, Atlanta, GA 30328
- South Metro | 675 Southcrest Parkway, Ste 120, Stockbridge, GA 30281
* Please visit redcrossblood.org for blood donation center hours of operation.
In addition to the chance to support their favorite team, those who present to donate during the Blood Drive Challenge will also get a commemorative t-shirt. The Red Cross challenge is sponsored by BP, am/pm and Coke Zero. Results of this year’s Blood Drive Challenge will be announced at the stadium during the Nov. 26 game in Atlanta, Ga.
“The real winners of this Blood Drive Challenge will be the patients who receive lifesaving blood transfusions thanks to the volunteer donations of Georgia and Georgia Tech fans,” says Sedlock.
Most healthy people age 17 and older, or 16 with parental consent, who weigh at least 110 pounds are eligible to donate blood and platelets. Donors who are 18 and younger must also meet specific height and weight requirements. The process is safe and takes about an hour. To schedule an appointment visit www.redcrossblood.org/UGAGT2011 or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).