Roll Up Your Sleeve to Give Blood and Show Your Support for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (St. Paul!)
Red Cross Announces “Extreme” Blood Drive Week
ST. PAUL, Minn. – While thousands of volunteers will roll up their sleeves to rebuild a home for St. Paul resident Sandy Morris, her children and her daycare in one week, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, TJB Homes, Inc. and the American Red Cross are also encouraging the community to roll up their sleeves for another good cause and give blood or platelets during “extreme” blood drive week.
“The lives of the Morris family changed forever today when they found out they were selected to have their house radically changed by the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition team,” said Geoff Kaufmann, CEO of the local Red Cross Blood Services Region. “Communities across the region can also help radically change patients’ lives – and help save them – by donating blood or platelets. We’re honored to be part of this life-changing event.”
The Red Cross has set a donation goal of 4,800 blood and 475 platelet donations during the build (October 2-9, 2009) for all of its blood drives in the region. The donation goal is based on the current and anticipated needs of hospitals and patients.
“Whether you’re planning to visit the build site or not, you can show your support of the Morris family, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and TJB Homes, Inc. by donating blood or platelets in their honor through the Red Cross,” said Kaufmann.
As many as 20 Red Cross blood drives occur every day throughout the region at donation centers, businesses, churches, schools and community organizations. Please call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (448-3543) or visit givebloodgivelife.org to find a blood drive near you, make an appointment to donate and show your support!
The following is a list of blood drives near the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition building site:
- Monday, October 5, from 12 noon – 6 p.m. at the St. Paul Area Blood Donation Center, 176 Robert Street South, St. Paul, Minn.
- Tuesday, October 6, from 12 noon – 6 p.m. at the St. Paul Area Blood Donation Center, 176 Robert Street South, St. Paul, Minn.
- Wednesday, October 7, from 7 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the St. Paul Area Blood Donation Center, 176 Robert Street South, St. Paul, Minn.
- Thursday, October 8, from 1 p.m. – 7 p.m. at the St. Paul Area Blood Donation Center, 176 Robert Street South, St. Paul, Minn.
- *Thursday, October 8, from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Neighborhood House at Wellstone Center, 179 Robie Street East, St. Paul, Minn. FREE T-SHIRT FOR ALL PRESENTING BLOOD DONORS (enter sponsor code 7229 when scheduling online)
- *Friday, October 9, from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Neighborhood House at Wellstone Center, 179 Robie Street East, St. Paul, Minn. FREE T-SHIRT FOR ALL PRESENTING BLOOD DONORS (enter sponsor code 7229 when scheduling online)
- Friday, October 9, from 7 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the St. Paul Area Blood Donation Center, 176 Robert Street South, St. Paul, Minn.
* Nearest the build site
Those visiting the build site are also encouraged to bring a non-perishable food donation for Neighborhood House, which operates the largest single site food shelf in Ramsey County. The goal is to collect 25,000 lbs. of food for the Neighborhood House food shelf. Visit neighb.org or call 651-789-2500 for more information.
The American Red Cross also operates five other Blood Donation Centers throughout the region where eligible donors can make appointments to donate, including (varying hours):
- Bloomington Area Blood Donation Center, 505 West 98th Street, Bloomington, Minn.
- Minneapolis Area Blood Donation Center, 1201 West River Parkway, Minneapolis, Minn.
- North Suburban Blood Donation Center, 3490 Lexington Avenue N., Shoreview, Minn.
- St. Cloud Area Blood Donation Center, 1301 West St. Germain Street, St. Cloud, Minn.
- Chippewa Valley Blood Donation Center, 3485 East Hamilton Avenue, Eau Claire, Wis.
Additionally, the Red Cross blood drive on Thursday, October 8 from 1:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. at the Fridley VFW will be dedicated to the builder, Blaine-based TJB Homes, Inc., 1040 Osborne Rd NE, Fridley, Minn.
How to Donate Blood
Simply call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (448-3543) or visit givebloodgivelife.org to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license, or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors younger than 19 years also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The North Central Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross is the largest blood supplier in Minnesota, serving 111 hospitals in the Twin Cities, greater Minnesota, western Wisconsin and eastern South Dakota. Governed by volunteers and supported by giving individuals and communities, the American Red Cross is the single largest supplier of blood products to hospitals throughout the United States. While local hospital needs are always met first, the Red Cross also helps ensure no patient goes without blood no matter where or when they need it. In addition to providing nearly half of the nation’s blood supply, the Red Cross provides relief to victims of disaster, trains millions in lifesaving skills, serves as a communication link between U.S. military members and their families, and assists victims of international disasters or conflicts. For more information call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (448-3543) or go to givebloodgivelife.org.
About ABC-TVs Extreme Makeover: Home Edition "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," which won back-to-back Emmy Awards for Best Reality Program (non-competitive), is in its 7th season on ABC and has helped over 120 deserving families. The program is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. The show airs on Sundays (8 – 9 p.m. EST) on the ABC Television network.
About the Neighborhood House
Neighborhood House is a multi-cultural, multi-lingual center, open to all, and committed to the success of refugees and new immigrants. Providing services in the settlement house tradition since 1897 in Saint Paul, Minnesota, Neighborhood House helps people, individuals and organizations develop the skills, knowledge and confidence to thrive in diverse communities by offering basic needs assistance, educational opportunities and a youth leadership program.
Neighborhood House has been privileged to work with people from more than fifty ethnic populations as they build and sustain productive new lives and has received numerous awards for its programs and responsible fiscal management. For more information, call 651.789.2500 or go to neighb.org.
About TJB Homes, Inc.
TJB Homes, Inc. is a family run business located in Blaine, Minn. founded in 1980 by owner Thomas J. Budzynski. TJB Homes, Inc. has been credited with many of the new concepts that are used in the Parade of Homes and Spring Preview and has won several sales and building awards. During his career, Tom has served on the Board of Directors for the St. Paul Builder's Association. As the builder of the Extreme Makeover Home 100th Edition in August 2007, Tom Budzynski speaks to groups about the EMHE Project, Team Building, Leadership, Real Estate or other topics.