Take Off With the Firecracker Fly-Away
Heart of America
PEORIA, Ill. – Fireworks will soon light up the sky for Independence Day, and Central Illinois blood donors can help light up the lives of patients who need blood. The American Red Cross, Allegiant Air and the Prairie Air Show have teamed up to present the Firecracker Fly-Away at select blood drives in Central Illinois.
Presenting donors at one of the special drives can enter to win two free round-trip tickets to anywhere Allegiant Air flies. (Some restrictions apply.) The winner will be drawn live on Monday, July 6, 2009 on WMBD-TV This Morning.
"The Prairie Air Show and Allegiant Air both have a history of giving back to Central Illinois," said Shelly Heiden, CEO of the Heart of America Blood Services Region. "We really appreciate their generosity towards our volunteer blood donors – especially at this time of the year."
Don't forget to stop by the Prairie Air Show, July 10 – 12, at the General Wayne A. Downing Peoria International Airport. Enjoy performances by the United States Air Force Thunderbirds, demonstrations by the United States Marine Corps AV-8B Harrier, or a ride in a famous UH-1 "Huey" helicopter.
To enter to win two free round-trip tickets on Allegiant Air, present to donate blood at one of the drives listed below.
Upcoming Blood Donation Opportunities
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
- 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at American Red Cross Chapter in Rock Falls, 112 W. Second St., Rock Falls, Ill.
- 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. at East Peoria Municipal Building, 100 S. Main St., East Peoria, Ill.
- 1:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at the Elks Lodge, 61 W. Elm St., Canton, Ill.
- 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. at Lincoln Sports Complex, 1400 Primm Rd., Lincoln, Ill.
Thursday, July 2, 2009
- 1:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. at First Baptist Church Annex, 1401 State St., Ottawa, Ill.
- 1:45 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at American Red Cross Chapter, 204 S. Bloomington, Streator, Ill.
- 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at American Red Cross Chapter, 2674 N. Main St., Decatur, Ill.
- 11:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. at First United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall, 316 S. Church St., Princeton, Ill.
- 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at First United Methodist Church Campus (rear building), 224 N. State, Geneseo, Ill.
- 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. American Red Cross Chapter, 1 Westport Court, Bloomington, Ill.
Friday, July 3, 2009
- 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. at Goodfella's (back room), 1414 North 8th Street, Pekin, Ill.
How to Donate Blood
Simply call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (1-800-448-3543) or visit givebloodgivelife.org to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver's license, or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Eligible donors must be at least 17 years old, or 16 years old with a signed Red Cross parental/guardian consent form where state permits, must weigh at least 110 pounds and be in general good health.
About the American Red Cross
Governed by volunteers and supported by giving individuals and communities, the American Red Cross is the single largest supplier of blood products to hospitals throughout the United States. While local hospital needs are always met first, the Red Cross also helps ensure no patient goes without blood no matter where or when they need it. In addition to providing nearly half of the nation's blood supply, the Red Cross provides relief to victims of disaster, trains millions in lifesaving skills, serves as a communication link between U.S. military members and their families, and assists victims of international disasters or conflicts.
About the Prairie Air Show
Prairie Air Show ®, Inc. is a non-profit organization, dedicated to producing a high quality Air Show event for all ages. It exists to provide opportunities for the community to participate and experience past and present military and civilian aircraft, as well as providing aviation education and awareness. The pinnacle of its achievement is to give back to the community monetarily; it does this by donating all net proceeds to various charitable organizations in the community.
About Allegiant Air
From America's favorite small cities to world-class destinations, Allegiant Air makes leisure travel affordable and convenient. With low-low fares, nonstop, all-jet service and premier travel partners, Allegiant Air provides a complete travel experience with great value and without all the hassle. Allegiant Air was founded in 1997 and is certificated by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) as a "Scheduled Air Carrier" with authority to fly scheduled and charter airline operations throughout the U.S. The Company also has authority for charter service to Canada and Mexico.