How to Become a Blood Services Volunteer
You can become a volunteer for American Red Cross blood services, just follow these steps:
- Read the Volunteer Assessment questions to help you decide if the American Red Cross is an appropriate place for you. Then, look over the time commitments involved in volunteering.
- Consider which volunteer position best suits you by looking over our literature:
- Call or e-mail your Volunteer Coordinator.
Indicate your interest in learning more about volunteering.
Your Coordinator will:
- e-mail you a Volunteer Application (or you can print it out),
- tell you when the next orientation in your area will be held,
- answer any initial questions you may have.
- Attend a 2-hour orientation/training session:
- For Alameda County, the location is Oakland.
- For Contra Costa County, the location is Pleasant Hill.
- For Northern Santa Clara County, the location is San Jose.
- For South Bay counties the location varies.
- Sign up for your first volunteer assignment!
Some positions (Phone Team, Driver) have additional steps:
Phone Team (Oakland only):
- Attend a one-time, 2-hour Phone Team training class (arranged individually).
- Complete additional DMV paperwork for us to obtain your DMV clearance.
- Go on two to three "ride-alongs" to learn the procedures for Red Cross vans, the routes to hospitals, and the procedures for delivery, pick up, and return.
It all begins with contacting your Volunteer Coordinator!