Keys to Success
Coordinating a blood drive involves dedication and is a true team effort. A Red Cross representative will work with you every step of the way. The key ingredients to a successful drive include:
Commitment – The Red Cross commits significant resources to each drive, and each pint collected can affect up to three patients in need. It takes both personal and organizational commitment to make a drive successful and we need and count on both!
Support – Your Red Cross representative will support you throughout the planning process, and is only a phone call away. It is also extremely valuable to get support from a team of volunteers in your community.
Passion – A passion for the cause is contagious. If you believe in what you are doing, you’ll pass it on to your volunteers and donors.
More tips for success:
- Get the buy-in and support from key people (e.g., upper management for businesses, the school principal or faculty advisor for schools, community leaders for community or religious organizations)
- Form a recruitment committee to help sign up potential donors
- Schedule the event well in advance and clear of potential conflicts
- Maintain contact with your Red Cross representative
- Use your organization’s main communication channels (email, intranets, newsletters, bulletin boards) to publicize the drive
- Use volunteers to help you with the drive
- Ask people not eligible to give blood to help you with the drive
- Advertise, advertise, advertise
- Give lots of encouragement to new participants
- Ask potential donors face-to-face
- Require scheduled appointments
- Make it personal – find someone who has been personally touched by blood donation or blood transfusion, and ask for their help
- Be available during the day of the drive – or have a knowledgeable back-up
- Ensure the physical space is in proper condition (lighting, heating, cooling) in advance of the drive
- On the day of the drive, meet the Red Cross team well before the start of the scheduled appointments
- Contact all no-shows during the drive