Responsible for guidance, leadership, and oversight of all matters relating to the medical practices and research of the blood region. Oversee medical services of the regional centers. Responsible for all medical policies and procedures of the blood region. Coordinate medical communications between the blood services region and the local and national medical community, and with NHQ. Support the goals and objectives of the organization by providing accurate and timely medical and technical consultation in transfusion medicine to all operational areas of the region and as appropriate to its customers. Promote the image of the Red Cross products to the regional medical community.
- Direct medical aspects of regional blood center operations, including the reference laboratories, research, medical community relations, and collections.
- Provide medical direction for transfusion medicine-related clinical services.
- Provide medical consultations on transfusion medicine issues to regional physicians and other health care professionals.
- Promote the use of safe and effective blood transfusion components and services and enhances the image of the Red Cross as a transfusion medicine leader regionally and nationally.
- Manage the provision of physician services to the regional blood center operations and transfusion related services.
- Serve as a member of the regional blood services senior management team.
- May function on behalf of the Executive Director in their absence.
- May supervise the overall medical, technical and quality management aspects of special medical programs such as, but not limited to, the Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell Collection Program, and the Therapeutic Apheresis Program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Develop, review, approve, or interpret all medical policies and procedures for the blood region, as required. Aid, support, and provide medical advice and content in all medically related litigation involving the blood region.Responsible for the development and implementation of the Clinical Services budget. Responsible for oversight of medically-related aspects of the personnel policies and procedures, i.e., vaccinations, needle stick and injury policy on employees with potential exposure to AIDS, hepatitis, or other infectious agents. These functions may be delegated to non-Red Cross occupational health physicians.
M.D. or D.O. degree with post-graduate training in blood banking/transfusion medicine is required. Must be board eligible, or certified in clinical pathology, hematology & eligible or certified in Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine. Extensive knowledge of current/projected trends in transfusion medicine/blood banking and hospital health care highly desirable. Knowledge of medical/technical principles of blood center operations. Must be licensed in the state of the primary site of the region and all states served by the region. Minimum seven years experience in blood banking/transfusion medicine, or related field, or completion of a blood banking/transfusion medicine fellowship required. May be required to have post doctoral training in hematopoietic cell collection or transplantation and have at least one year experience in the collection procedure. Experience working as an associate medical director or a medical educator is preferred. Experience in relevant medical/scientific research and scholarly activities sufficient to warrant academic appointment is highly desirable.
Peoria, IL 61605